Use myGov to act on behalf of someone else

To help someone with their government payments and services through myGov you can become their nominee or representative.

Become a nominee or representative

If you help another person with their government services, you can be formally recognised as their nominee or representative.

The person who wants a nominee or representative must set it up with each government agency. In some cases, they can do this in their online account through myGov.

You can be someone’s nominee or representative for services like Centrelink and My Aged Care. When it’s set up, you can access these services for them using your own myGov account.

You can be a nominee or representative for multiple people.

Find out more about how you can be someone’s nominee or representative. Some of these links will take you away from myGov.

Apply for power of attorney

If someone needs your support to manage their financial or legal decisions, you can become their power of attorney or guardian. Find out about the difference between a power of attorney and guardianship on the Carer Gateway website.

If you become their nominee or representative as well, you may do some of these tasks through your myGov account:

  • access their online accounts
  • get copies of correspondence 
  • make updates to their details online
  • upload documents in their online account
  • submit Centrelink claims online.

Page last updated: 23 April 2024