Disaster Recovery Allowance

Support if you’ve lost income as a result of a declared natural disaster event.

This is a payment from Services Australia that you can get for a maximum of 13 weeks.

Who can get it

To get this payment, you must meet all of the following.


  • were 16 or older at the time of the disaster
  • are an Australian resident or meet other residence rules
  • work or live in a declared Local Government Area
  • lost some or all of your income as a direct result of the disaster
  • earn less than the average Australian weekly income in the 13 weeks after this income loss.

Natural disaster events

There are no current natural disaster events.

How to get it

There are no current natural disaster events you can claim for online.

Claim over the phone

If there are no current natural disaster events, late claims may be accepted but only in exceptional circumstances. You’ll need to call the emergency information line on the Services Australia website. Let them know if you need an interpreter and they’ll arrange one for free.

Help in your language

Call the Centrelink multilingual phone service on 131 202 to speak with someone in your language.

Find information in more languages about Centrelink on the Services Australia website.

Page last updated: 4 July 2024