New Zealand Disaster Recovery Payment

Support for New Zealanders who have been seriously affected by a declared natural disaster event.

This is a lump sum payment from Services Australia.

Who can get it

To get this payment, you must meet all of the following. You:

  • hold a non-protected Special Category Visa (subclass 444) 
  • are a non-resident under the Social Security Act 1991
  • have paid tax in Australia for at least one year in the past 3 financial years, or will do so by the date listed on the Services Australia website
  • are 16 or older at the time of this disaster 
  • are seriously affected in a declared area. 

Seriously affected means that you or an eligible child you care for must have experienced one or more of the following because of the declared disaster:

  • major damage to your principal place of residence 
  • major damage to a major asset or assets that you own at your principal place of residence 
  • you were seriously injured
  • you’re the immediate family member of an Australian citizen or resident who died or is missing.

Natural disaster events

These links will take you to the Services Australia website.

How to get it

You can claim online for:

  • Western Victoria Bushfires, February 2024
  • Queensland Heavy Rainfall and Flooding – City of Moreton Bay, January 2024
  • South East Queensland Severe Storms and Flooding, December 2023 to January 2024.

Claim online

To claim online, you need a Centrelink online account linked to myGov.

If your Centrelink online account is already linked to your myGov account, sign in to start your claim online.

Set up your online account

The easiest way to claim is online through your Centrelink online account linked to your myGov account.

If you don’t have a myGov account, follow the steps to create one. When you’ve created one, you can link services to your account.

Once you’ve linked Centrelink to your myGov account, follow these steps to make your claim:

  1. Sign in to myGov and select Centrelink.
  2. Select Make a claim or view claim status, then select Make a claim.
  3. Go to Help in an emergency and select Get started.
  4. Select Apply for a Disaster Recovery Payment and then Begin.
  5. Answer the questions and submit your claim.

Claim over the phone

If you can't claim online, you can call the emergency information line on the Services Australia website. Let them know if you need an interpreter and they'll arrange one for free.

Help in your language

Call the Centrelink multilingual phone service on 131 202 to speak with someone in your language.

Find information in more languages about Centrelink on the Services Australia website.

Page last updated: 17 June 2024