Help and support at tax time

Find out how to get help or support with your taxes.

Help to lodge your tax return

You may be able to get help lodging your tax return through:

  • the ATO’s free Tax Help program
  • National Tax Clinics that help people who can’t afford professional tax advice
  • a registered tax agent, who will charge a fee to help with your tax return.

Things to do:

Get help with a debt

If you receive a tax bill from the ATO and can’t pay it in full by the due date, you may be able to set up your own payment plan online using the ATO’s self-help services.

If you can’t pay immediately, you still need to lodge your tax return on time. If you need extra support or assistance, contact the ATO immediately to discuss your options.

If you have a Centrelink debt, there are options to help you repay it in a way that suits your situation.

Things to do:

Page last updated: 18 January 2024