Enrolling in high school

How to enrol in high school depends on your state or territory, and on the school.

How to enrol

If you’re enrolling your child into a private or public school, you’ll need to contact them directly. Some schools may have their own enrolment process, such as an exam or interview before they finalise your child’s enrolment.

If you’ve decided on a public school, you may need to submit an enrolment form with your state or territory government.

Find out more about enrolment in your state or territory. These links will take you away from myGov.

State or territory Resource


Enrolling in Kindergarten to Year 12


High school enrolment


Enrol your child at school


How to enrol


School enrolment


Enrolment in Tasmanian Government Schools


Moving from primary to secondary school


How to enrol – a step by step guide

Documents you may need

When you enrol your child in school, you may need to provide some information and documents with your application. You may need to provide:

  • your contact details
  • emergency contact details
  • your child’s health information
  • your child’s birth certificate
  • your child’s immunisation history
  • proof of residential address
  • Medicare number
  • residency status or visa number (if applicable)
  • passport, travel documents or current visa (if applicable).

Get your child’s immunisation history statement

You can get your child’s immunisation history statement using your Medicare online account through myGov.

It shows the vaccinations they’ve had that are recorded on the Australian Immunisation Register.

There are other ways to get your child’s immunisation history statement if you can’t use your Medicare online account. Find out how to get your child’s immunisation history statement.

Page last updated: 2 January 2024