Becoming independent

As your child grows older and closer to adulthood, they’ll be able to do more without your help.

Teenagers may start accessing government services themselves. When they do, they can create a myGov account.


Tax file number

Children can apply for a tax file number (TFN) themselves once they turn 13. You can apply for a TFN for your child at any age.

Find out more on how to apply for a TFN on the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website.

Bank account

Some banks and building societies let children open a bank account on their own after they turn 14. You can open an account for them at any age. Find out about opening a bank account for your child.

Getting a job

There are tips to help your child find a job on the Workforce Australia Job Jumpstart website.

Managing tax affairs

Once your child gets their first job, they may need to lodge a first tax return. They can do their own return or use a registered tax agent. Find out more about tax returns on the ATO website.

The ATO website has information on linking your myGov account to the ATO to view tax and superannuation information.


Superannuation (super), is a part of an income that an employer pays into a super fund. Super builds up over a working life. Super money can be to live on when retiring from work.

Once your child starts working they can choose their own super fund and keep track of their super contributions from their employer. Find out about superannuation basics on the ATO website.


My Health Record

When your child turns 14, you won’t be able to access their My Health Record anymore. They can choose to give you access as a nominated representative. Find out more about accessing your child’s record on the Digital Health website.

Immunisation history statement

When your child turns 14, you can’t access their immunisation history statement without their consent. They can view it themselves. They can find out how to get an immunisation history statement.

Find out more about how children who are 14 or older can get their statement on the Services Australia website.

Medicare card

Your child can get their own Medicare card when they turn 15. They can choose to either:

  • transfer to their own card
  • stay on your card and get their own copy.

Find out more about getting your own Medicare card on the Services Australia website.

Enrol to vote

It’s compulsory for all eligible Australian citizens to enrol and vote in federal elections, by-elections and referendums. When your child is 16 or 17, they can enrol so when they turn 18 they'll be able to vote.

Find out how to enrol to vote on the Australian Electoral Commission website.

Learn to drive

Learning to drive is an exciting milestone for you and your child. The rules for learner drivers, including minimum age, depend on your state or territory. These links will take you away from myGov.

State or territory Resources
ACT Licences
NSW NSW learner driver licence
NT Get your NT driver licence
Qld Getting a Qld licence
SA myLs
Tas Getting your Tas car licence
Vic Your Vic Ls
WA Learn to drive (my first WA licence)

Page last updated: 29 April 2024