Help with housing costs

Find out what help you can get if you’re renting or paying a mortgage.

Support for renters

If you’re renting, you may be eligible for Centrelink payments or help from your state or territory government.

Your state or territory government may have concessions or loans to help you pay your rental bond or energy bills.

Find out about government help if you're renting.

Support for home owners

Government help

If you own your home, you may get concessions to help pay your bills, such as your energy bill and rates. Find out what government concessions you may get for your home.

Exploring mortgage options

If you have a mortgage, you may find you can save money by switching home loans. You can talk to a mortgage broker or compare loans yourself.

There’s information to help you on the Moneysmart website. These links will take you away from myGov.

Problems paying your mortgage

Your bank can help if you’re having problems paying your mortgage. They may change your loan term, pause or reduce your payments. Get in touch with your bank and speak with their financial hardship area as a first step.

Find out more about your options if you’re having problems paying your mortgage on the Moneysmart website. You can also speak to someone about home loans on the National Debt Helpline website.

Social, public and community housing

If you’re on a low income, social, public and community housing is a low cost option.

There are different eligibility rules in each state and territory. Find out about eligibility and how to apply for social, public and community housing.

Support for the homeless

If you’re homeless, or at risk of losing your home, there’s support in your state or territory. You can access emergency housing and get help with food, clothing and other services. Find help if you're homeless.

Page last updated: 26 March 2024