Providing financial details to your employer

Find out what financial details you need to tell your employer when you start work.

To help pay you, your employer should ask for your:

  • tax file number (TFN), using a TFN declaration form
  • superannuation fund details
  • bank account details.

TFN declarations

If you give your employer your TFN, they can work out how much tax to withhold from your pay. You do this by completing a TFN declaration.

If you don’t give your employer your TFN, or you don’t have one, you will pay more tax. Find out more about when a TFN has not been provided on the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website.

If you don’t have a TFN

You can apply for a TFN number if you don’t have one.

Find out more about getting a tax file number.


As an employee, you’re typically entitled to compulsory superannuation (super) contributions from your employer. If you’re eligible to choose your super fund, you can do so using the superannuation (super) standard choice form on the ATO website.

You can also use the ATO’s Estimate my super tool to work out whether you are eligible for super guarantee contributions.

If you want to choose a new super fund, or compare your existing one, there are resources to help you.

Choosing a new super fund

If you don't nominate a super fund

Your employer will pay you super, even if you don’t nominate a super fund. They will pay your super contributions into:

  • your stapled super fund, if one is available
  • their nominated default super fund.

Find out more about stapled super funds on the ATO website.

Bank account details

Most employers will want to pay your salary into a bank account. You will need to give your employer your bank account details, including your:

  • account name
  • BSB number
  • account number.

Page last updated: 19 January 2024