How to know it’s a scam
Find out about active myGov scams on the Services Australia website. myGov is delivered by Services Australia.
Signs of a scam and tips to protect yourself
myGov will never ask you through email, text message, or direct message on social media, to:
- click on a link to sign in to myGov
- enter your bank details
- provide your identity documents
- tell us your personal details.
We don’t offer live chat through social media.
Examples of your personal details are:
- myGov PIN
- secret questions and answers
- Customer Reference Number (CRN) or Tax File Number (TFN).
Scammers can make fake websites that look just like myGov. Always access myGov by typing in the web address yourself (my.gov.au). Or you can use the official Australian Government myGov app.
When you are signed in to myGov, the messages in your myGov Inbox are secure. It’s safe to open links in myGov Inbox messages.
Learn more on the Services Australia website about:
What to do if you get a scam message
If you get a suspicious message claiming to be from myGov:
- don’t reply
- don’t open any links
- don’t download any attachments.
You can report the scam to us if:
To report a myGov or Services Australia scam, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If it is not a myGov or Services Australia scam, you can report it on the Scamwatch website.
What to do if you’ve been scammed
If you have sent money to a scammer, contact your bank immediately.
Call the Services Australia Scams and Identity Theft Helpdesk if you:
- opened a link in an email or text message
- gave your myGov details or other personal information to a scammer
- downloaded a fake myGov app.
myGov linked service scams
If the scam relates to a linked service you are using through myGov, contact that service using the list below.
These links will take you away from myGov:
- Australian Taxation Office
- Child Support
- Department of Health Applications Portal
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- HousingVic Online Services
- Individual Healthcare Identifiers Service
- My Aged Care
- My Health Record
- National Cancer Screening Register
- National Disability Insurance Scheme
- National Redress Scheme
- State Revenue Office Victoria
- Workforce Australia.
For other scams, find out what to do if you've been scammed on the Scamwatch website.