myGov privacy notice
It was last updated in October 2023.
myGov is an online digital service run by Services Australia on behalf of the Australian Government. We refer to Services Australia as 'we' or 'us' in this privacy notice.
We also manage the myGov app which is a way to access myGov that you can download to your personal device.
It’s your decision to:
- download and use the app
- provide myGov or a linked service with information when using the app.
It’s your responsibility to protect information on your device from loss or misuse.
The app may store information you provide or that is provided to you on your device.
Separate privacy notices apply to the services you link to your myGov account. When you access a linked service through myGov, you leave myGov and go to their website.
When you link your myGov account to a service, the linked service may:
- collect your personal information from myGov
- use and disclose your personal information to myGov as set out in this privacy notice, to the extent those actions relate to myGov.
Digital Identity and your privacy
You can connect your Digital Identity to myGov or use it to create a myGov account.
We manage information related to your Digital Identity in our capacity as:
- a Relying Party (myGov)
- the Digital Identity exchange.
You can find out more about how the Digital Identity system handles your personal information on the Digital Identity website.
You can stop the collection of your personal information related to Digital Identity by disconnecting your Digital Identity.
If you used your Digital Identity to create your myGov account, disconnecting your Digital Identity will close your myGov account.
Services Australia and your privacy
- you can access personal information held by Services Australia
- you can seek the correction of that information
- you can complain about a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles
- Services Australia will respond to a complaint.