Why we collect, use and disclose information
We collect, use and disclose your information:
- to administer myGov
- to send you messages
- to let you update your details
- for other reasons.
To administer myGov
We collect, use and disclose your personal information in order to operate the myGov service. This includes:
- letting you create and sign in to your myGov account
- giving you access to myGov Inbox messages and the myGov app wallet
- displaying information about your myGov profile on your personalised homepage
- updating your name and date of birth in your myGov profile when a linked service tells us about a change
- letting you update your details with linked services
- letting you link services to your myGov account
- letting you connect, sign in to, or create your myGov account using a Digital Identity
- letting you view some claims and payments from a linked service on your personalised homepage.
We may disclose the following information to your linked services:
- your name
- your date of birth
- your email address
- your mobile phone number
- the source of information in your myGov profile
- completing a task in the app
- requesting a certificate in the app
- adding a certificate in your myGov wallet.
We would do this to:
- let you link services to your myGov account
- let you access your linked services through your myGov account
- update your contact details held by linked services.
We may collect, use or disclose your personal information to detect and investigate suspected unlawful activity within myGov. We may collect information for this purpose from a linked service. Or, we may collect it from the Interim Oversight Authority (IOA) if you connect a Digital Identity to myGov.
We may also collect personal information from linked services to provide services you ask for while using myGov.
To send you messages
We collect, use and disclose your personal information to provide you with the myGov message service to:
- allow you to receive online messages from linked services
- notify you by email or text message to your preferred email address or mobile number when you receive a new message or task from a linked service
- notify you by app notifications to your mobile device
- send a message to any other email address or mobile number we hold if we can’t notify you by your preferred method
- tell the service if we can’t send you an email, text message or app notification about a new message from them
- tell the service when you access a message from them.
The emails, text messages or app notifications we send you may include information with:
- the linked service name that sent you the message
- what the message is about.
You may have concerns about other people accessing or seeing this information on your device. You should review and update your device's security settings.
To let you update your details
We may collect, use and disclose your personal information to let you update your details with linked services. This includes telling your services about updates to your details such as your name, date of birth and contact details.
Other collections, uses and disclosures
We may also collect, use and disclose your personal information:
- where you have consented to the collection, use or disclosure for that purpose
- to allow a linked service to detect and investigate suspected unlawful activity
- to allow the IOA to perform functions related to fraud management if you have connected a Digital Identity
- where the law requires or authorises us to collect, use or disclose your information for that purpose, including investigating suspected unlawful activity.
We may collect use and disclose your personal information to allow you to participate in the Newborn enrolment trial. This includes identifying your myGov account, creating a task for you to advise the name of your baby and processing the task. Any personal information collected during participation in the trial will not be stored by myGov, but will be passed to the relevant linked service.
We do not usually disclose personal information collected for myGov to overseas recipients.