Skip to main content

Financial help if you’re 24 or younger and a student or Australian Apprentice.

This is a Services Australia payment.

If you’re 21 or younger and looking for full time work, read about Youth Allowance for job seekers.

Who can get it

To get this you must be one of the following:

  • 18 to 24 and studying full time
  • 16 to 17, studying full time and either independent or needing to live away from home to study
  • 16 to 17, studying full time and have completed year 12 or equivalent
  • 16 to 24 and doing a full time Australian Apprenticeship.

Read more about who can get it and how much you can get on the Services Australia website.

If you can’t study full time

If you’re unable to study full time you may still get a payment if:

  • you have a disability
  • you’re sick or injured
  • your course changes and you don’t have a choice to study full time.

How to get it

Claim online

You’ll need to have Centrelink linked to your myGov account to claim this payment.

If you don’t have a myGov account

If you don’t have a myGov account, follow the steps to create one. When you’ve created one, you can link services to your account.

If you can’t claim online

Call the Youth and students line on the Services Australia website.

Help in your language

Call the Centrelink multilingual phone service on 131 202 to speak with someone in your language.

Find information in more languages about Centrelink on the Services Australia website.